For all my US friends, this week we’re celebrating Thanksgiving. It’s a day when we can come together with our friends and family, eat amazing food, have a few laughs, and, of course, give thanks. One of the big cultural traditions on Thanksgiving is to share the specific things we’re thankful for.
So, to help you get started, here’s a big list of things you can be thankful for this year.
Why Being Thankful Matters
It might be something we do on Thanksgiving as a matter of tradition, but really, it’s a good idea to show gratitude all year long. Being thankful is incredibly beneficial in a number of ways.
Practicing the art of being grateful can improve your overall mood and well-being. Gratitude makes you feel happier and can decrease your stress, depression, and anxiety.
Research has shown that by expressing thanks, we can experience positive emotions more often and even more intensely. We’re likely to feel more optimistic, too, which can help us cope better with negative life events.
It can also improve your relationships with other people. You’ll feel more connected to them and in turn, they’ll feel appreciated and valued.
On top of that, being thankful actually has physical benefits. It can lead to better sleep, higher energy levels, lower blood pressure, and overall improved health.
50 Things To Be Thankful For
With all of that in mind, you can practice more gratitude today simply by finding things in your life to appreciate. Here are 50 perfect examples to use.
Big Things To Appreciate
- Having a roof over your head in general
- Clean drinking water
- Indoor plumbing
- Air conditioning and/or a heater
- Your furniture
- Past relationships – they’ve taught you so much!
- Having a job
- Being able to do something you care about
- Benefits (health insurance, paid time off, bonuses etc.)
- Financial Security
- Co-workers who make your life easier
- The Military
- Ability to vote
- Fresh air
- The Ocean
- Trees, Plants and Flowers
- The Stars
- Ability to walk, run, dance etc.
- Senses – being able to see, hear, smell, feel, and taste
- Access to healthcare
- Medications you take
Personal Things To Appreciate
- Your personality
- Past experiences you’ve had
- Your uniqueness – you’re different from everyone else!
- The way you look
- Your Education
- Traits you have – honesty, integrity, compassion etc.
- Special talents – anything you’re good at
- Interests and hobbies
- Your resilience – anything you’ve overcome in life
- A sense of humor
Related Read: 5 Ways To Be Kinder To Yourself
Daily Things To Appreciate
- Essential workers – mail carriers, trash collectors, first responders
- Random acts of kindness
- Technology – Cell phones, computers, etc.
- Favorite TV show or movie
- Anything that makes you laugh
- Food to eat
- Affection – hugging, kissing, holding hands
- A good nights sleep
These all things to be thankful. We can’t forget the little things.
Totally agree! Glad you liked it!
love this! It’s so important to think about what we are thankful for especially this time of year.
Yes absolutely! And Thanksgiving is a perfect time for it!
I love a list of things to be grateful for. Although we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK, I do try and think of these things throughout the year. It helps me mentally.
So glad you find a way to practice it outside of a holiday!